Prostitution is often considered a victimless crime, meaning there is no immediate identifiable victim. Prostitution is illegal in ever state except one. Even though prostitution is legal in Nevada, it is illegal in Las Vegas. Prostitution offenses are located in Chapter 43 of the Texas Penal Code. Review the Texas Penal Code and Chapter 12 of the OER to answer the following questions.
1. What is the least serious penalty for prostitution in Texas and what is the specific section?
2. What is the most serious penalty for prostitution in Texas and what is the specific section?
3. Is prostitution a purely victimless crime? Justify your answer.
4. Should prostitution be legalized? Why or why not?
5. In places where prostitution is legal, why do people still get arrested for prostitution?
6. Does legalizing prostitution do away with illegal prostitution? Why or why not?
7. Is everyone who engages in prostitution doing it voluntarily?
8. Is prostitution connected to other crimes? What crimes?